Buckwheat Honey: 10 Benefits and Grilled Salmon Recipe
Buckwheat honey is very much loved by bees in months of August. Its nectar is collected from tiny buckwheat flowers. For most, word "buckwheat" resembles with flour substitute, however buckwheat is neither a grain nor grass, it is related to rhubarb plant. Honey bees truly love the astringent aroma of buckwheat flowers. Raw buckwheat honey is dark honey and is very rich in antioxidants, minerals and iron. The Great Elders of Baltic tribes used to say "the darker the honey the healthier it is"! No wonder, 21st century scientists agree with this traditional remedial theory. Let's look at this in more detail.
Buckwheat honey benefits
You may wonder, is honey good for you? Yes, especially buckwheat honey which carries whole variety of micro-elements and vitamins. It loads a dose of antioxidants. Antioxidants are created from active flavonoids and other phenolic compounds within the honey. These biological superheroes help with blood pressure and overall blood system. And let's not forget that, honey has antibacterial properties which aid in detoxification and fight against bad bacteria in your liver.
Let's not forget that buckwheat honey has the highest amount of iron content out of all types of honey. People with active lifestyles rank it highly within superfoods. It regenerate body after a workout and replenishes strength after an active day. In addition vegetarians and vegans may use it as food supplement for iron.
Superpowers of raw buckwheat honey:
- Reduces the risk of hear attack and heart stroke.
- Buckwheat honey also minimises the chance of arterial hypertension, and other cardiovascular diseases.
- It's recommended to use dark honey for acne and other skin issues because of honey antibacterial properties and detoxification.
- It boosts overall blood formation within the body and can help with anemia.
- Due to low sugar contents dark honey can also aid with reduction of cholesterol levels or blood sugar levels for people with diabetes.
- Specific types of honey like buckwheat honey have even been proven by researchers to stop DNA mutations which form cancer cells.
- Scientific study has also proven buckwheat honey cough aiding effects. Raw honey for cough treatment is surpassing over-the-counter cough medicine.
- Helps with stress relief and balancing nervous system.
- Regenerates body after workout or active day due to high iron content.
- Promotes to reach your spiritual awakening and find your inner self.
Taste it, feel it, smell itIf you are into bold, robust and distinctive taste then buckwheat honey is perfect for you. Not only you will experience the honey healing effects but you will feel the reminiscent of molasses and malty tones. Buckwheat honey is monofloral honey meaning it is collected by honey bees mostly from one source of honey flower. It may also be described as heavy bodied, caramel-like or butterscotch-like. Dark honey has rich and dense taste. It is not possible to mistaken this honey for other types of honey, because it has pronounced aroma. Slightly astringent aroma resembling a smell of vintage oak.
Grilled salmon salad with buckwheat honey recipe:
- Preparation time: 30 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Serves: 4
- Salmon fillet (about 1lb)
- Raw buckwheat honey (4 tablespoons)
- Soy sauce (3 tablespoons)
- Olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Clove of garlic
- 1 lemon
- Romaine salad (200g)
- 2 avocados
- Plum tomatoes (150g)
- Dill (20g)
- Mix raw buckwheat honey, soy sauce, olive oil, some lemon juice, and finely chopped garlic into a small bowl.
- Place salmon in a glass dish and pour over the marinade mix from step 1. Cover with a lid and leave in a refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Medium heat your grill (if you are doing BBQ, otherwise use oven on a grill function). Place salmon on the grill, cover and grill for around 15 minutes (depending on your grill). Use the excess leftover marinade to brush salmon 2 to 3 times till the outside is crispy golden brown.
- Serve with sliced plum tomatoes, avocado, romaine salad and sprinkle of dill. Have a slice of lemon on the side. Enjoy hot or cold.